Friday, November 26, 2010

Grandma's Dressing - East Texas Style

Ok - this is 'COMFORT FOOD' at its best. (Well.. this and Chicken N Dumplings.) This recipe isnt hard at all - just a lot of steps along the way. I try to do a lot of the prep the day before. Oh and since I am a Southern gal - this is Cornbread Dressing!!

Here is the short version of the recipe - I will post the original at the end. I also took several shortcuts - mainly using precooked chicken but I have also cooked the chicken in a crockpot all day.

1) Cook and crumble 2 recipes of corn bread. (Used Betty Crocker Cookbook recipe)


Chop onions, celery & green onions. Chop 4 boiled eggs.


Opps - forgot the broth picture but I made about 6-8 cups of chicken broth. You pour broth into the corn bread mixture until its wet and very moist.


Stir in onions, celery, green onions, boiled eggs, 2 raw eggs, 1 1/2 sticks butter & chopped chicken.


Place in greased pan and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.




Not hard - just lots of steps.




Eat!! Yum Yum!!




=================
Chicken & Dressing - East Texas Style

1 fryer - large & fat
2 tblsp salt in water with chicken
2 pkgs cornbread mix (she always said any brand but Martha White)
Chicken broth from chicken
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 cup celery, chopped fine
1 cup green onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup onion, chopped fine (optional)
1 1/2 tbspn chicken boullion
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 boiled eggs, chopped

1) Cover chicken with water and add 2 tbspn salt, 1 tbspn black pepper. Cook until meat easily falls from bone. Remove chicken from broth after cooling. Remove meat from bones.
2) Cook cornbread mix as directed. After its cool, crumble and soak with broth until very moist. Add celery, eggs, boullion, melted butter and more broth as needed. Add chicken.
3) Test by cooking a small amount (if desired). Add more seasoning or broth if necessary. Cook in a pyrex pan after spraying with Pam. Enough broth used will usually be bubbly around edges. Cook at 350 until brown.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Hi Angela, Are you sure you didn't read my post about not liking cornbread dressing and decide to post a 'solution'. I will have to try this recipe to see if I can change my mind. Ha!

I will be linking up to this post today. Great photos!
xo
Donna @ Comin' HOme