Friday, January 15, 2010

Homemade Almond Milk

Making almond milk is VERY easy.

This batch is made with 1 cups of almonds.

Put in container and fill with water until its over the top of the almonds. Soak overnight.


Next day, you pour off the old water. and add 3 - 4 cups of fresh water. Less water makes it thicker. I like 3 1/2 cups.

Blend until finely shreded. This is the point you would add sweeteners or vanilla. We like 1 tsp vanilla and a few drops of honey. Dates are also supposed to be good to use for sweetners.


Pour blender mixture into a nut milk bag.

Slowly sqeeze the milk out of the bag.

This is our finished product.


You can use the leftover almond pulp for baking and such. You can buy nut milk bags at this site http://www.vt-fiddle.com/ The site also has has lots of info on nut milks.

1 comment:

Scentsibly Prepared said...

Our just favorite left over pulp recipe is -
add to your pulp (about 2 cups pulp):
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teas salt
1/2 bunch dill (can use dried)
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper

I have done this so many ways - with no dill, with dill, I have never used bell pepper. Last time I only used chopped green onions and it tasted (to me) like onion dip - Will thinks it looks and taste like chicken salad. Just make sure you have the first 3 ingredients and you can play with the rest. It keeps for about a week in the fridge - well...I say that.. I dont think ours has ever lasted a week with the eaters around here :)